We want anyone and everyone to experience the healing power of yoga, so we do our best to create a diverse array of offerings and collaborations. Here are some examples of our mission in action:
- Our FREE Weekly Community Class is a way for people, of any or no income, to practice. See our class schedule here.
- We offer a lower-than-normal rate for drop-in classes: just $10! Purchase classes here.
- Experiencing financial hardship? Apply for a SKY Scholarship here.
- Trauma-Aware Yoga: We offer a 6-week series for men and women living with the effects of trauma. Find out more here.
- Youth Empowerment Yoga: We teach one-on-one yoga on a sliding scale to youth with special needs, in order to provide tools for physical strength, confidence, self-esteem, emotional balance, and self-regulation. Find out enrollment possibilities for your child by e-mailing us.
- Adaptive Yoga: We teach a monthly class in collaboration with L'Arche Tahoma Hope Community for folks with physical and developmental disabilities. Check the Class Descriptions page for dates and details.
- Veteran Services: We are a registered yoga studio with Yoga for Vets. We are committed to the complete health and re-integration of our veterans and offer veterans their first four yoga classes at SKY free of charge.
- Off-Site Yoga Outreach: We are aware that there are many factors that limit a person's ability to come and join us in our studio, so we have collaborated with area nonprofits to teach yoga classes out in the community. If you'd like to become an Outreach Partner, please fill out this form. Current outreach community programs and partners include:
- The New Tacoma Apartments which serves low-income seniors on the Hilltop
- Hillside Apartments which houses low-income families on the Hilltop
- Kids Empowerment Yoga through Tacoma Rescue Mission
- Nativity House, which serves adults experiencing homelessness
- Yoga with incarcerated women at Mother Earth Farm
Past Outreach Partners
- Toddler Yoga with Tacoma's Holistic Mom's Group
- Dock Street Walking and Running, a nonprofit running and walking group for homeless folks
- An eight-week yoga program for young women transitionally out of the foster care system, in collaboration with HopeSparks, a nonprofit counseling center
- The New Phoebe House, which serves women recovering from substance abuse
- Lutheran Community Services Northwest
- Epworth LeSourd United Methodist Church (closed in 2015)
- Associated Ministries
- Catherine Place
- Madison Family Literacy Program, a yoga program mostly for low-income Latina women in ELL programs
- Street Yoga
- Yoga Behind Bars
How You Can Help
Help us create a new program: Are you connected to a typically disadvantaged group of people that could benefit from yoga? Do you work for a corporation or nonprofit that would like to bring yoga to your employees or clients? Fill out this form to propose a collaboration!
Attend Class: We are sustained by our vibrant and loving community of yogis who gather together, practice, share, and create safe space for all to be welcomed. Being a paying student provides opportunities for us to include folks in our classes and programs who cannot pay for class. Check out our class schedule here.
Join our Board of Directors: Being a board member is a fun and fulfilling way to ensure the viability and expand the vision of Samdhana-Karana Yoga. Meet our other board members here, and contact our Board President for more details.
Become a Partner in Healing: Partners in Healing receive unlimited yoga at any of the classes on our schedule in exchange for $50/month and the knowledge that they form the foundation of the work SKY does in our communities. Set up your Partnership here.