We know it takes courage to try something new, so thank you for trusting us to take you on your inaugural yoga journey! Here's what we recommend:
Fundamentals of yoga Program 1.0 and 2.0
This program is for you if you are:
- brand-new to yoga
- wanting to review the foundational principles of yoga
- brand-new to SKY and are wanting to get engaged in our community
In this program you will learn the fundamentals of yoga alignment, breath, and sequence, with a focus on cultivating relaxation, body awareness, strength and familiarity with basic yoga postures. This series will prepare and ease you into a continued yoga practice, helping you to build confidence in attending other class offerings at SKY or wherever your yoga practice takes you. You will also have the chance to connect to other students and learn about SKY's unique mission and services.
- 1 weekly class, Mondays 7:30-8:45pm
- Weekly handouts on poses, sequencing, and breathing to practice at home
- 1 additional weekly drop-in classes of your choice (recommendations will be given)
- 6-week New Student Membership upon completion of the series (if you have not previously attended Fundamentals 1.0)
- Winter/Spring 2017 series dates :
- March 6- April 10. Fundamentals 1.0 REGISTRATION IS FULL
- Program Value: $180
- Sliding Scale Series Cost: $80, $100, $200 (Please pay at the highest amount that you can so that we can make our programs accessible to anyone with a sincere heart to participate. If the fee is still out of your means, please consider applying for financial aid.)
- Pre-registration required. (Use link next to dates)
What people are saying about this program:
"This was a very nice gentle beginning into what I hope will be a lifelong practice. Just having the idea of No Judgement repeated has been very powerful."
"The instructor was incredibly compassionate. Also, the number of modification options made a huge difference."
"This was my first experience with yoga and it was wonderful. Looking forward to more!"
Drop-in Classes for Beginners
Can't commit to the Fundamentals Program? Try any of these drop-in classes:
- Community Class
- Basic Level I
For drop-in classes, no need to pre-register. You can just show up 10-15 minutes before class to complete the new student paperwork--or download it here and bring it in. Check out the class schedule for times and teachers.
TIPS FOR BEGINNERS
- Introduce yourself to your teacher, let them know you are new to yoga and be ready to describe any injuries or limitations you are working with.
- Make yourself at home—introduce yourself to other students, ask questions, and explore our space of healing!
- The general structure of class is as follows: a brief centering and/or breathing practice; warm-up movements that build to the main postures of the class; a cool down; and a reclined rest (shavasana).
- Please take care of yourself—there's no need to push or force yourself into anything. Please allow yourself to rest during practice and never stay in a posture if it is hurting.
- Please communicate with your teacher! If there is any way we can make your experience more easeful and enjoyable, we want to do that!